Essential Oils for Hair
Posted on 7th Aug 2014
As discussed in our previous article on What are essential oils? there are several uses of essential oils mostly are for body care products, inhalation, and massage. Now we will discuss the uses of certain essential oils for hair. Here are some of the essential aromatherapy oils and their function for the hair:
1. For normal hair - use Roman chamomile, carrot seed, lavender, clary sage, rosewood, sage, thyme, rosemary, cedarwood, lemon, or cypress. (3)
2. For oily hair - use clary sage, juniper, cedarwood, bergamot, lavender, or cypress (3).
3. For dry hair - use carrot seed, frankincense, geranium, lavender, or juniper (3)
4. For brittle / split/ damaged hair - use peppermint, rosemary, and thyme “to stimulate and encourage healthy blood flow to the hair follicles” (2) You could also use burdock root oil (3).
5. For dandruff - use tea tree, lavender, lemongrass, neem, rosemary “use one or a combination of these oils.”(2) You could also use eucalyptus, clary sage, patchouli, peppermint, sage, juniper, cypress, or cedarwood (3).
6. For hair loss - use birch, cajeput, clary sage, peppermint, rosemary, sage, thyme, or cedarwood (3). Though not essential oils, use avocado oil and aloe vera as well to stimulate hair growth.
Proper proportions in using essential oils for the hair:
1. For scalp massage - dilute 3 to 4 drops of the essential oils to carrier (thicker) oils like jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, melted coconut oil (2), apricot oil, or grape seed oil (1). Massage to the scalp for 10 minutes every night to combat hair breakage or dandruff.
2. For hair conditioner - dilute 1 drop essential oil to 4 to 6 ounces of unscented conditioner (1)
3. For hair rinse - dilute 10 drops essential oil to to 16 ounces of water (1)
4. For shampoo - dilute 12 drops essential oil to 16 ounces of unscented shampoo (1)
(1) Balch, P. (2006). Prescription for Nutritional Healing. New York: Penguin Group
(2) Davis-Sivasothy, A. (2012). Hair Care Rehab: The Ultimate Hair Repair & Reconditioning Manual. Texas: Saja Publishing Company, LLC.
(3) Keller, E. (1991). Aromatherapy Handbook for Beauty, Hair, and Skin Care.Vermont: Healing Arts Press